Work With Us
- Referral Agencies
- Client Services
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Directions to Mission of Deeds
Together, We Change Lives.
Volunteers are the foundation of the Mission of Deeds, truly the heart and soul of our organization. We started as a volunteer charity and remain true to that vision 27+ years later. We could not exist without their help. The work our volunteers perform is essential to our mission.
Help Us Drive Change in Multiple Massachusetts Counties
Our mission is to provide beds, furniture, basic housewares, and other household items to those most in need. Our clients are struggling individuals or families with children including those who were recently homeless, fleeing domestic violence, veterans, refugees, the elderly, or those living with a disability. Clients are referred to us through our Referral Agencies.
Make a Difference and Inspire Others
Volunteers range in age from teenagers through senior citizens and have varied professional and educational backgrounds. We have a small army of over 100 volunteers who are here weekly, plus many more who come occasionally.
Volunteer duties include:
- Greet and thank donors, and write receipts for goods received
- Help clients select furniture that fits their needs
- Sort linens – measure, label, assemble sets of bedding and towels
- Work on our truck, either as a driver or crew member
- Quality control – triage furniture and appliances for quality, cleanliness and working order
- Work in the warehouse – load and off-load trucks with donated furniture, beds, household goods
- Workshop – check and repair furniture as well as lamps (must be 18 years or older)
- Answer telephone, schedule appointments, and resolve questions (training and attention to detail required)
- Pre-event planning; assist onsite at our fundraising events
- Organize a drive for gently used towels, blankets, comforters or “like new” kitchen items
Every day our volunteers help families and individuals in need start over, and throughout the years their efforts have touched many, many lives.
We are very fortunate to have had quite a few of our Volunteers with us for more than 10 years. The compassion, dedication, and hard work of our volunteers inspire everyone they meet. They are Our Best Ambassadors, ensuring excellent service for our clients.
Even the members of our small part-time staff were all volunteers before joining our organization as employees.